Plastics Care Advice
Improved working practices for the use of Polycarbonates will extend the life of the product:
- Polycarbonate drink ware is supplied with the verified CE Mark or Lined and Stamped exactly like Glassware.
- Polycarbonate Barware is dishwasher safe to a temperature of 60 degrees C.
- When using glass washers, it has been suggested that the use of detergent without rinse aid is preferred.
- To maintain the product in its best condition, it is recommended that a low temperature wash cycle below 60oC for both wash and rinse temperature is used. The combination of detergents and raised temperatures can lead to environmental stress cracking in the plastic surface. If washer temperatures are above this then it is recommended to hand wash the plastic barware.
- It is important to make sure that the Polycarbonates are not rubbing together during the rinse cycle in a glass washer.
- It is safe to use Liquid Renovate. This will enhance the visual presentation of the product where needed.
- Regular checking of Polycarbonates to assess scratching is needed so as to offer the customer a perfect drink.
- It is important that Polycarbonates are not stacked tightly together as the inside of the product will scratch.
- Polycarbonates are quite often found on the floor and on hard floors they will scratch. Where possible Polycarbonates should not be left on the floor.
Polycarbonate is a tough transparent thermoplastic that has many applications, which demand high performance properties. Polycarbonate drink ware is almost indestructible, hard and rigid and in many cases virtually identical to glass. It is the preferred product for Police Forces and Local Licensing Authorities where drink related violence is an area of concern. Although the product is virtually unbreakable it is subject to considerable wear and tear, unlike glass, which would simply break and then be replaced, regular checking of polycarbonates to assess scratching is needed as to offer the customer a perfect drink.
Utopia Tableware supply Plastic Barware in four different types of plastic:
- Polystyrene – our plastics shots are Polystyrene, these are glass washer safe up to 100 washes.
- SAN (Styreneacrylonitrile) - is stronger than Polystyrene and can take a high amount of usage but will break under heavy pressure. This product is glass washer proof.
- Polycarbonate – is a very strong and virtually unbreakable plastic, the strongest plastic of all. Our polycarbonate glassware is glass washer safe up to 500 washes.
- MMS – is a transparent copolymerization primarily composed of methyl methacrylate (MMA) and styrene monomer (SM). This is glass washer safe up to 100 washes.